Self doubt. That little voice inside that tells you that you can;t do something.The inner narrative that whispers of failure the moment you think of stepping outside your comfort zone. It’s the inner belief that tells you that you can’t do something just because you’ve never done it before.
It will make up excuses about how hard something will be or how we just don’t know how to do it. In the video below I share my very current experience with this little voice that, had I not been hip to its games, I would’ve allowed it to ruin a very beautiful day!
“Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.”
Self doubt will keep us from living the life we dream of quicker than anything else. If we want to create a reality that is in line with who we know we are on a deep soul level then we must silence the self doubt mantra that keeps us playing small.
But how do we silence the self doubt?
- Admitting its existence is always the first step! We can’t overcome anything without admitting its there. Now we can do something about it.
- Keep a journal. Now that you know self doubt is there, you can start tracking when it makes an appearance. What were you doing? How were you feeling? By recognizing your patterns you can overcome them.
- Talk back to it! Did you know that you can dismiss and contradict the voice in your head? You can! They are not the end all be all in your life. Believe it or not the inner narratives CAN be rewritten.
- Talk about them! Putting words out of your head often helps you see how silly they are. Just letting them out and saying them out loud can often help you to hear how exaggerated these thoughts have become inside your mid. And by talking about those doubts with someone else, you can get a change in perspective which is massive!
- Don’t beat yourself up. The beliefs and narratives didn’t get put there in one day, so give yourself time as you dig into them. Dig into where the self doubt really took root in your life and do some healing work around this event.
Remember, if you’re still allowing the past to dictate the way you live now, it’s no longer anyone’s fault but yours. Choosing to blame keeps us stuck in the past and keeps us in the victim loop. By owning our current reality we can clean away the filters of the past so we can live in the moment.
If you resonate with this and you;re tired of limiting your life, come and join the Hug Your Chaos facebook group where we are digging into the shadows, healing, empowerment, and truly living!
Much love everyone. Believe that you can and you will!
Share with me in the comments below how self doubt shows up in your life!
Author: Lindsay Carricarte-Jones